Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens

      Sean Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens truly enlightened me with it's numerous anecdotes and the habit that changed the way I look at solving problems, Habit 4 - Think Win-Win.
      Hearing other's stories, or anecdotes, helped me to better understand some of the situations I was facing.  Handling a new situation on your own can be very difficult, but learning from others or telling others about the problem can be the best to learn to handle the situation.  I probably felt better reading the anecdotes because I'm not much of a people person (well... most of the time anyway) and I feel that I wouldn't have to expose myself (which is really something I should work toward being able to do... maybe).  While reading some of the anecdotes, I felt as though I could really connect to a few of them.
       After reading Habit 4, I gained a little more insight into the other side of deal-making.  Before reading Habit 4, I truthfully looked more toward my benefit when making deals.  In retrospect, if I were the person on the receiving end of a bad deal I probably wouldn't feel too good about the situation.  The next time I make a deal with a person I will most certainly put myself into the other persons shoes to see how I would feel about the deal.
       Perhaps just from the examples told in The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Teens I could say that the book is extraordinary.  However, I would not give justice to the book if I did not say that the seven habits make the book more than simply extraordinary.  I would definitely recommend this book to any and maybe all teens (even if you think you don't have any problems or actually don't).

1 comment: