Saturday, August 7, 2010

Something Taken for Granted

Late last night, while trying to find a topic for my final thINK summer assignment, I glanced at the counter to find food from my mother’s parent’s house. The food looked great; a kind of flour chips, a sauce, dried onions, and banh xeo comprised this tray of brought home food. I just had a sample of each but as I lay in bed, I realized how important home cooking is.
Both my maternal and paternal grandparents cook their own meals. I’ve never known any of them to so much as look at a fast food restaurant. What is a fast food joint anyway? Is it a place to find a good deal or delicious food? I beg to differ.
Even though the fast food places may seem to be a cheap place to get food, if one were to look a little closer, questions can be raised. If the value menus are composed of $1 items, what is the quality of the actual food? Restaurants are built to make money, not give it away, so how would they make money by serving high grade food for such a low price? I have watched my father cook a $40 batch of gumbo which fed my family and friends for days. How much fast food could a person get for $40 at not even a fraction the taste?
Besides being healthier and more cost efficient, cooking meals yourself brings people together. Why go eat out somewhere when you can cook for a friend or a loved one? If that cook doesn’t want to cook alone, they could get a loved one or friend(s) to help them cook, this is actually quite fun.
Whenever you get the chance, cook a nice home meal for yourself or your family. Not only will you hone cooking skills and save money, you will also get to spend valuable time with family and friends.

2 comments:

  1. Any text you can relate to this post? I've been reading In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen. I believe he'd agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I meant to reference the site http://healthfood-guide.com/fastfood.aspx though in the end, I forgot to put the link in the actual blog post

    ReplyDelete