Friday, October 15, 2010

Independent Reading: In Development

Between Odyssey, band, Beta club, NEHS, and work I'm finding difficulty in reading consistently. I still read the required minutes each week, but sometimes that consists of 120 minutes in a day. That's my best excuse, but that's still an excuse. What might help me to read more consistently is to have a designated time of the day to read. Even with that fault, I am doing decently on practicing a balanced reading diet. I read a candy fiction, deep fiction with themes that could relate to modern society, and a nonfiction book about the inner workings of TV News and how facts can be distorted (Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and How to Watch TV News by Steve Powers and Neil Postman respectively). I didn't read Catching Fire with deep thought, besides to paying attention to the storyline. However, I did read Brave New World and How to Watch TV News with analytical thought simply because they were much easier to relate to modern day society. To some extent, I do ink my thinking. I find inking my thinking to be both advantageous and burdensome. Inking does help me to go back and reflect a little on what I read in relating something I just read back to something I read much earlier. Stopping to write something down, especially a longer thought, can cause me to lose my train of thought. For the next nine weeks, I will try to read more consistently and have most of my books read before one week to due date.

1 comment:

  1. You say: "I find inking my thinking to be both advantageous and burdensome."

    I say: It's true. Reading deeply--analyzing, re-reading, stopping to write and reflect is much more time-consuming. But, as I bet you did in your preparation for BNW Socratic Seminar, we get so much more from the reading when we take the time to dig and think on a deeper level. We can't do this for everything we read, of course, but after you've practiced a while, the thinking deeply will become automatic and you'll actually find it difficult to turn in off and simply read for pleasure!

    ReplyDelete